Sunday, July 18, 2004

I'm happy today because..

  • I walked for two kilometers on a bright, breezy oxford day.

  • A friend emailed me, letting me know she's now in New Zealand pursuing further studies.

I'm upset because..

  • My dad phoned(1:30am) and scolded me after hearing that I'm planning to work here in England. His reasons were obscure, unfounded and almost baseless.
     
    My dad grudingly told me that I should go back to Vancouver, pursue my own project , continue enhancing it, and not worry about employment or earning money for the next 2 years (what? is he going to sustain my expenses until i get old? i hate being continually dependent on my parents' money..even if they want to share it).  

Life is already complicated. I'm glad I had a chance to walk and enjoy the sights in Oxford. I walked past the ChristChurch Meadows (2 minutes away from Lincoln) and the ChCh Botanical Gardens. I also walked past Magadelen College's bridge where lots of tourist (mostly Americans) were queueing to punt (too bad I didn't bring my camera to snap a few pictures).


3 comments:

Roger said...

Your Dad may have been taken by surprise by your wish to stay in England, and may have reacted as a parent might without much extra thought. Discuss this with him if it is indeed your wish, and also let him put his side of the deal. Convince each other of the weight of your respective arguments, and then break for thought. A few days later speak again to see if either party has changed their minds, and proceed. I seem to remember your post only suggesting you might stay. Did he know this? This is YOUR future, but you are HIS son. Do not ignore the possesive side as he will miss you if you stay, but you must continue on your chosen path.

oxfordian said...

Thanks for your comments, Roger.
I'm still weighing the pros and cons of working here in England. I think the last decision would be mine, but I better make sure that I can justify my decision should I regret later in life (my dad won't give me any sympathy after not following him).

Lemon Tree Man said...

well the good thing is that you walked. although i am dubious as to what you were thinking about...
as far as fighting with dads go, this a hurdle that we all come to at some point in life. you mentioned:

obscure, unfounded and almost baseless, but what were they? undoubtably they are in HIS mind the most sensible option for you. And so we come through to the point that i am badly trying to make.

much as your father will try to GUIDE your life and to try to push forward what he thinks is a good opportunity, you must do what YOUR HEART tell you otherwise you will spend the rest of your life regretting it. Even if you choose unwisely adn decided that you had made a mistake..... this is better than regret. On the other hand once justification and explaination has been awarded to the parents then they should accept you choice.
remember they are parents therefore love you unconditionaly.

Up the Highest Summit in Maui

We visited tons of snorkeling spots in Maui and in Oahu, but the 10,000 ft ride up the Haleakala National Park gives you the most memorable ...